Deep Brain Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Deep Brain Discussions

Greetings. I'm Bill the Radioguy. I'm enrolled in the DBS Clinical Trial at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. I've established this web forum for folks who are also enrolled in the study to meet, chat, discuss or just hang out. Come on in, have a look

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Parkinson's Goggles" to Fight Freezing -- 8/22/07

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Radioguy
Admin
Radioguy

"Parkinson's Goggles" to Fight Freezing -- 8/22/07 Empty
PostSubject: "Parkinson's Goggles" to Fight Freezing -- 8/22/07   "Parkinson's Goggles" to Fight Freezing -- 8/22/07 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 7:56 am

Some space-age goggles may be what some Parkinson's patients need to help them walk better.

Parkinson's is characterized by tremors and shuffled walking.

"In my mind, it made it look like, seem like, feel like i was walking over a checkerboard floor," said patient Jack Rose.

So UC neurologist Alberto Espay started testing experimental goggles by measuring the pace of a person's step.

Before the googles, steps appear shufffled. After the goggles, they are better-paced.

"Patients are able to improve their walking by getting cues from the ground and using them to move their feet," said UC Neurologist Alberto Espay, MD.

Patients use the goggles for two weeks, half an hour each day.

Some say they can still see the floor pattern better even when the goggles are off.

You can learn how to participate in the Parkinson's Disease study by calling UC's research coordinator at (513) 558-7019.

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshows/healthyliving/story.aspx?content_id=7fca9841-37ec-4910-9fcb-76a964bf079f
Back to top Go down
http://www.billywisdom.com

"Parkinson's Goggles" to Fight Freezing -- 8/22/07
Page 1 of 1