Deep Brain Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Deep Brain Discussions

Greetings. I'm Bill the Radioguy. I'm enrolled in the DBS Clinical Trial at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. I've established this web forum for folks who are also enrolled in the study to meet, chat, discuss or just hang out. Come on in, have a look

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Walking May Delay PD -- 8/22/07

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Radioguy
Admin
Radioguy

Walking May Delay PD -- 8/22/07 Empty
PostSubject: Walking May Delay PD -- 8/22/07   Walking May Delay PD -- 8/22/07 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 7:55 am

A local research team has discovered that an hour of brisk walking a day could help delay the onset of Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's is a degenerative disorder in which an insufficient amount of dopamine in the brain leads to chronic shaking or muscle rigidity.

A team headed by Kim Chang-Ju from the department of physiology at Kyung Hee University's College of Medicine said on Sunday that experiments on Parkinson's-infected mice showed that walking delayed the loss of dopamine-secreting cells.

This indicates that walking may help prevent Parkinson's disease, the team said. The results of the study were published in the Aug. 9 issue of Neuroscience Letters.

The team had six infected mice and six saline liquid-injected mice walk for half an hour every day for two weeks. The mice that exercised were found to have far less dead dopamine-producing cells compared to others with no exercise.

"Just one hour of fast walking a day alone could delay the disease," said Professor Kim.

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200708/200708200017.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.billywisdom.com

Walking May Delay PD -- 8/22/07
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Deep Brain Discussions :: PD News and Updates-
Jump to: